In this article, you can read how to lose 5 kilos quickly and in a healthy way, so that your clothes are comfortable again.
You will discover how you can quickly see results on the scale without experiencing hunger or being obliged to exercise (I will explain how below).
These are the tips:
- Reduce your sugar intake
- Opt for slow carbohydrates
- Eat high in protein
- Eat omega 3 fats for fast fat burning
- Eat a lot of vegetables
- Keep cortisol under control
- Download the free shopping list
You can see these tips as a kind of weight loss plan for the next two to three weeks. To make it easy for you, you will also find a number of daily menus in this article.
Tip 1: Reduce your sugar intake in 4 steps
To lose weight it is necessary to eat less sugar.
This advice is old and already known to many people, but that doesn’t make it any less effective. At Fitventurious we see customers who have lost more than 15 kilos every day by smartly replacing sugar with healthy food ( you can read success stories here ).
Below you can read how to reduce your sugar intake in four easy steps.
Step 1: Avoid hidden sugars
Processed products are products in packages, bags or cans. They come from a factory.
The industry adds sugar to many of these products. Even products where you don’t expect it from, contain sugar, such as:
- Smoked sausage
- peanut butter
- Canned soup
- Breakfast cereals
We have put together a free shopping list for you where you will find 117 healthy products without sugar. Download the list here by signing up for the no-obligation newsletter.
Step 2: Avoid soda and fruit juice
Soda is packed with sugar. A can of cola contains no less than 35 grams of sugar. Diet soda is not the solution. In diet soda, the sugar has been replaced with sweetener, but this is no better than sugar (as you might think). Your body reacts the same to sweetener as to sugar, with the result that you gain weight.
Fruit juice also contains a lot of sugar in the form of fructose. Fructose is broken down into glucose in the liver. The liver can only convert small amounts of fructose into glucose at a time. If you consume a lot of fructose in a short time, some of it is converted into glucose. The rest is stored as body fat .
Step 3: Be more conscious about sugar
Below I have written a number of tips for you with which you can drastically reduce your sugar intake, so that you lose 5 kilos healthily and quickly.
- Choose natural food that has been minimally or not processed.
- Prepare as many meals as possible yourself.
- Choose fresh vegetables instead of canned vegetables.
- Avoid sodas, energy drinks, and fruit juices.
- Opt for a piece of fruit instead of a glass of fruit juice.
- Drink your coffee and tea without sugar.
- Replace cereal, cornflakes and crispy muesli (cruesli) with sugar-free muesli or oatmeal, and add some nuts and fresh fruit yourself (click here for oatmeal breakfast recipes).
- Do you like chocolate? Then choose dark chocolate. The higher the cocoa percentage, the less sugar the chocolate contains.
- Use olive oil and vinegar as a salad dressing and avoid ready-to-eat dressing.
- Don’t be fooled by the term ‘0% fat’. Extra sugar is often added to these products.
Step 4: Read the label more often (with this handy mnemonic)
- Any ingredient that ends in ‘ose’ is sugar. Example: dextrose, fructose, lactose and maltose. These are all forms of sugar.
- Ingredients with syrup, syrup or honey are also sugars. These are often referred to as ‘natural sugars’, but if you want to lose 5 pounds, you better leave them.
- Avoid fruit concentrate. This is fruit juice that has been reduced to such an extent that only the sugars are left.
Daily menu without sugar
- Breakfast: Porridge with raspberries, unsalted almonds, linseed and cinnamon powder
- Snack: Two boiled eggs
- Lunch: Salad with smoked salmon, cottage cheese, paprika and cucumber
- Snack: Bowl of olives
- Dinner: Wok dish of 200 grams chicken fillet, 400 grams of vegetables of your choice, sesame seeds, soy sauce and spices / herbs of your choice
Summary: Reduce your sugar intake if you want to lose weight. The most important advice: don’t eat highly processed products.
Tip 2: Opt for slow carbohydrates
Carbohydrates can be divided into slow and fast carbohydrates.
Slow carbohydrates are broken down slowly by your body. This keeps your blood sugar stable and your body needs to produce less insulin. The result: you feel satiated for longer.
Feel free to eat these slow carbohydrates if you want to lose 5 pounds:
- Legumes (lentils, chickpeas, and beans)
- Sweet potato
In addition to slow carbohydrates, there are also ‘fast’ carbohydrates. You want to avoid them in the near future.
Fast carbohydrates are broken down quickly by your body. Your blood sugar level rises quickly, forcing your body to produce a lot of insulin to bring your blood sugar level down again.
Due to fast carbohydrates, your blood sugar levels fluctuate, with the result that you quickly get hungry again. This process also ensures that you store more fat .
Therefore avoid fast carbohydrates such as:
- Potato chips
- Soft drink
- Fruit juice
- White bread
- White rice
- Sweet toppings
Do you want to know more about carbohydrates? Then read this article.
It’s important to note that you shouldn’t avoid all carbohydrates. Healthy, slow carbohydrates contain fiber, which you can use to lose 5 kilos.
Lots of fiber in slow carbohydrates
Fiber ensures healthy intestines and helps you lose weight [3,4]. That is why it is not wise to no longer eat carbohydrates at all, otherwise you will not get any fiber.
Fiber helps you in the following ways:
- They are not absorbed by your body and provide almost no calories.
- They absorb a lot of moisture, so you are full for longer.
- They are good for your gut health.
- They are important for your resistance, bowel movements and brain.
- They stimulate your fat burning. The good bacteria in your gut use fiber as a food source and produce short-chain fatty acids. These encourage your body to burn more fat.
Summary: Opt for slow carbohydrates. These are slowly broken down by your body, so that you feel satiated for longer.
Tip 3: Eat high protein
You lose weight healthily by eating food with sufficient protein.
Eating high-protein prevents muscle loss . Reduced muscle mass is unfavorable for your metabolism, because your metabolism slows down when your muscle mass decreases. That is why it is important to eat enough protein on a daily basis.
Proteins also ensure that you burn more fat and that you are less hungry. Protein-rich products give a satiated feeling [6,7].
Protein can be obtained from both animal and vegetable sources, such as:
A rough guideline is to eat 80 grams of protein per day. It looks like this:
High protein daily menu (82 grams of protein)
- Breakfast: 200 grams of Greek yogurt with 100 grams of strawberries and 10 grams of unsalted pistachios (13 grams of proteins)
- Snack: A rice cake with a tablespoon of sugar-free nut butter (4 grams of proteins)
- Lunch: Salad made from a bag of lettuce (75 grams), a boiled egg, half an avocado, half a bell pepper, 100 grams of radishes and a dressing of mustard, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and black pepper (15 grams of proteins).
- Snack: 150 grams of carrots with 30 grams of cottage cheese as a dip (5 grams of proteins)
- Dinner: Healthy chili con carne (44 grams of protein)
Summary: Make sure you eat enough protein if you want to lose weight healthily. By eating protein-rich you prevent loss of muscle mass.
Tip 4: Omega 3 fats for a fast fat burning
Omega 3 fats have many positive effects on your health.
In addition, research shows that omega-3 fats can speed up your fat burning, while at the same time lowering your fat storage . In other words: you burn fat and you don’t store it. Omega 3 fats also suppress your hunger pangs and help you build muscle.
Note: This does not mean that you will automatically lose weight if you take an omega 3 supplement. It’s about the big picture. Omega 3 fats in combination with the other tips from this article ensure that you lose those 5 kilos healthily and quickly.
Foods high in omega-3 fats
- Fatty fish: herring, salmon, mackerel, anchovies
- Seeds: flax seed, chia seed, hemp seed, sesame seed
- Nuts: pistachios, walnuts, cashews, brazil nuts
Fatty fish are the best source of omega 3 fats. The advice is to eat fatty fish twice a week.
Summary: Omega 3 fats accelerate fat burning while decreasing fat storage. Fatty fish are the best source of omega 3 fats.
Tip 5: Eat a lot of vegetables
Vegetables are packed with good nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and fiber.
In addition, vegetables contain few calories, so you can eat a lot of them. That is a double benefit: many nutrients and few calories. Because vegetables contain a lot of fiber, they give you a satiated feeling so that you do not get hungry quickly.
Vegetables with every meal
You can safely eat 500 to 600 grams of vegetables per day. Divide this over the day, so eat vegetables not only with dinner, but also with breakfast or lunch. For example, make an omelet with vegetables for breakfast and eat a salad for lunch.
To make it easier for you, we have listed six recipes with a lot of vegetables for you below (breakfast, lunch and dinner):
- Rice cakes with avocado and egg
- Smoothie with spinach, blueberries and kiwi
- Salad with shrimp, avocado and mango
- Buddha bowl
- Cauliflower rice salad with feta cheese, mint and pomegranate seeds
- Stuffed portobello with celeriac fries and avocado sauce
- Chicken thigh fillet with pumpkin, eggplant and mushrooms
Summary: You can eat a lot of vegetables. They are packed with good nutrients and low in calories.
Tip 6: Keep cortisol under control
Cortisol is a necessary hormone for your body and is also called ‘the stress hormone’.
When you experience stress, the adrenal glands make cortisol. Cortisol ensures that you can act better in stressful situations, partly because it makes you more alert. Long-term stress causes a high level of cortisol in your body. This has a negative effect on your weight.
Cortisol works against weight loss in two ways:
- Cortisol increases hunger
- Cortisol ensures that your blood sugar level rises quickly. In response to this, your body produces insulin, which causes your blood sugar to drop quickly. This decrease makes you hungry and craving sweets.
- Cortisol and belly fat
- Cortisol promotes the storage of fat in your body, especially around your belly. A high level of cortisol causes your body to store fat as belly fat [9,10].
Do you want to lose 5 kilos quickly and healthily? Then we advise you to actively relax in addition to healthy food, so that you see quick results. Below we have listed some tips for you.
Tips to lower cortisol
- Sleep at least 8 hours a night
- Walk 20 minutes
- Do a short, intensive sport (maximum 30 minutes)
- read a book
- Put your mobile phone on silent more often (or on the airplane mode)
- Plan social activities that energize you
- Stop worrying about unimportant things
- Do not drink coffee after 4 pm
Do you want to know more about lowering cortisol? Read my article about lowering cortisol for more tips.
Summary: Prolonged stress creates high levels of cortisol in your body. Therefore, try to avoid or reduce stress by relaxing regularly.
Tip 7: Download the free shopping list
We have compiled a free sugar-free shopping list for you with 117 healthy products.
Since Fitventurious started, this shopping list has been downloaded more than 40,000 times. It has helped a lot of people to get a slim, healthy and energetic body.
You can download the shopping list below for free by signing up for the weight loss newsletter with tips, recipes and daily menus – without any obligation and can be canceled at any time.